Whenever I buckle down and get serious about my health, green tea immediately becomes a part of my diet. I personally like the taste (once I add some raw honey and lemon), but taste buds aside, green tea is great for you! It’s huge in antioxidants whose main function is involved in the prevention of cellular damage — the common pathway for cancer, aging, and a variety of diseases. That alone should have you running to your nearest store to pick up a box of green tea considering how rampant these man-made diseases are nowadays. Nevertheless, if you still need a little more convincing, check out these awesome perks of drinking green tea before every meal:
- Healthy Teeth and Gums: Get a Colgate smile the natural way by sipping on a cup of green tea! According to a recent study, scientists concluded that participants that drank green tea had healthier teeth and gums, along with significant decrease in several indicators of periodontal disease (such as bleeding upon probing of the gum tissue).
- Beautiful Clear Skin: Acne at any age is like a gnat that keeps coming back to your plate of BBQ at a picnic, no matter how many times your swat at it, move your seat, use one of those bug repellants – it simply persists! In green tea, the catechins are anti-bacterial and they also regulate hormone activity. A study conducted in 2003 showed that green tea cream is as good as benzoyl peroxide cream, but without any side-effects.
- Goodness for the Heart: Green tea has been shown to aid the body in its ability to burn off harmful forms of fat, preventing them from laying stagnant in the blood stream. Large scale studies done on green tea have associated it with long term heart disease prevention. A Japanese trial found that drinking at least four cups of green tea daily could lower the severity of heart disease in men (don’t grown, just drink before you eat or while you snack).
- Digestive Aid: I can completely testify to this one right here!!! Green tea is a natural and soft way to help with any digestion problems you may have. Green tea is a well-known digestive stimulant. It reduces intestinal gas and may even aid in preventing and treating inflammation-based digestive disorders such as Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis, the two types of IBD. Since I eat LOTS of veggies believe me when I tell you that green tea has helped me on several occasions.
- Weight Loss: If you want to stop tugging at those persistent love handles, add green tea to the mix. Many studies have indicated that green tea aids weight loss by preventing the growth of fat cells, specifically in the problematic abdominal area.
I have been drinking green tea for years and I must admit that I simply love the green tea by TAZO. It’s a little bit expensive, but try to find it on sale because it’s a delicious specialty tea that are also gluten-free. Tazo teabags are made out of oxygen-whitened hemp cellulose and are not chemically bleached. I am not endorsing them in anyway, just helping you to get on the green tea bandwagon. No matter what brand you choose, try not to add sugar. If you use a sweetener, use raw honey – it’s does the same thing and is better for you.
Tamala is the creator of Soul Kisses TV and yearns to share inspirational content to help readers connect with the highest versions of themselves so they can ultimately lead their best lives. Connect with Tamala and the SKTV community on Facebook, Twitter and feel free to sign up for weekly emails using the form to your right.